Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Different Kenya (for us)

When most people think of Kenya ani- mals and talented long-distance runners. It is true that the game parks are incredible…filled with animals that we only ever dream of seeing locked behind the electric fence at the zoo, and that the Kalenjin tribe produces some of the world’s best long distance runners. I hope that, they think with lots of of going on a safari people realize that we have done our best to scale through the surface of Kenya to a core that is hard, tough and at times scary.

Last week was a week of just the opposite. I took the opportunity to enjoy one of the things that energizes me most effectively and set off to the mountains for a few days. In true Kenyan style, I joined a guide, three cooks and a team of 12 English guys to the slopes of Mt. Kenya. This was the first time that I had ever been under the provision of a guide while climbing. While my independent nature initially screamed, “let me do it myself!”, I soon realized that guiding plays an important role in Kenya’s highest income generator (the tourist industry), and that letting guides navigate the unknowns around transport, cooking different foods, fighting off different animals and accessing proper equipment was a relief.

The trip was excellent-perfect weather, beautiful scenery and a successful summit bid. Starting at 8000 feet, we climbed to 11,000 feet for our first acclimatization night and on to 14,000 feet the following evening. The summit of Mt. Kenya, which sits about 35 km north of the Equator stands at 17,000 feet. The group was in good physical condition and had few setbacks. We met an interesting couple from Israel along the way whose lives have been shaped by war and confusion. It was one more incentive to appreciate the freedoms that have been afforded to me and to find opportunities to engage with our global neighbors who can’t say the same. Can you imagine living every day of your entire life with the uncertainties associated with war?

When I re- turned to the park gate, I caught a ride into the closest town and took a four-hour matatu ride to Nakuru, home of the infamous pink flamingo flock in Nakuru National Park. I met Mandy and some friends from her school for the weekend as we had some rest and relaxation time, as well as a few game drives. The animals were spectacular…rhinos, giraffes, zebra, hyenas, cape buffalo, warthogs, flamingos, pelicans, gazelle, baboons and monkeys just to name a few. It was a good time to refocus our energy for how we can be effective during the upcoming months and also got us thinking about the future. Our group of 6 adults represented 5 different countries and lots of international travel. It was fun to dream about the possibilities out there…but for now-we are off to OhioJ!

Driving back into the crowded streets of Nairobi yesterday was like culture shock. People everywhere, shacks, dukas and children playing. Part of me wanted to retreat back into the mountains, while another part of me wouldn’t want to if I could. I was reminded of a comment that I heard when meeting with the leaders in our network a few months back. Someone made a statement that mzungu (white people) will always have a chance to get away and retreat from the realities of life. He was right…we were able to get away, to clear our minds and to refocus-and now it is up to us to share this energy with others!

But, it’s going to have to wait a bit…we are both sick with sinus stuff and are completely exhausted-maybe the rhino got us sick.

No comments: